After checking on my system yesterday I noticed it stopped updating the LCD display and operating the controllers within a couple hours after powering on the device. The issue was very simple to solve, all it involved was changing an "if" statement to a "while" statement. Also the updated version notifies the user when it cannot initialize the SD card during start up via the LCD display.
Here's the updated version:
I've been googling moisture sensors for the past week or so. The most ideal product I found was the Vegitronix Soil Moisture Sensor but they run roughly $30 a piece which isn't a very ideal price. I then stumbled upon a tutorial for home made moisture sensors that uses galvanized nails to take measurements by passing a alternating current between the probes while taking readings on the one that isn't currently emitting a current. The probes are set in gypsum plaster to avoid corrosion from salts and to make sure they don't touch. During the next week i will be working on making a set of my own, once they are complete i will run some tests to get a better understanding on how to make them work accurately in the next update.
I'll be keeping you guys posted, thanks for listening in.